- March 10, 2018
- Posted by: LTI
- Category: Skills Training
Do you know what constitutes sexual harassment, especially if one of your team members alleges it is occurring at your workplace? Did you miss the signs that such a problem exists? If ignored and handled improperly, these charges can become public and bring your company negative media coverage, as has happened recently for many corporations of all sizes.
The old saying “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is very appropriate here. An expert skills training firm can guide you and your team members through a customized program designed to improve their understanding and promote more positive interactions if the need arises. This type of training can provide the following insights:
- Dealing with Difficult Behaviors: Your team members can and should learn specific techniques on how to react properly to emotional hostility and threats on the job.
- Creating an Open Environment: Finding and implementing a system that facilitates direct communication between peers, subordinates and superiors can lessen fears and confusion surrounding how your company handles sexual harassment claims.
- Understanding Communication Styles: People may not realize that certain comments or actions can be construed as harassment or intimidation. Recognizing the differences in emotional effects, tone of voice, body language and intent (real or perceived) of interpersonal communication can produce a better understanding of what not to do at work and how to respond to these situations.
Three Areas Where Improved Skills Can Benefit Addressing Harassment
- Conflict Management: allow for healthy discussions to enhance productivity and creativity while discouraging arguments meant solely to harm others. This encompasses knowing how to deal with difficult people including harassers.
- Feedback: avoid letting a lack of information and misinterpreting create a hostile workplace where sexual harassment can thrive. Cultivate improved communication and feedback among all parties to stop this from happening.
- Assertiveness: empower team members to respect the rights and dignity of others while standing up for themselves. Learn to leverage assertiveness and influence effectively, including how to handle harassment situations.
Wonder how your Raleigh company can be proactive in confronting sexual harassment? Learning Technologies, Inc. brings content know-how and extensive experience for this. Contact us today, and let’s talk about how we can lead classes that improve communication for you.